Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Kicking butt

So last night we had lots of fun (not). I suppose there could be many explanations as to how it happened like Jamie bought me a Red Ryder BB gun; I got in a fight and you should see the other guy; or the attack of the Chimp..., but really there is only one explanation. I was being stupid and kicked my own butt.

The last few months I have been spending time downstairs working on finishing the basement. Most recently I have been working on the electrical. I'm getting really close on starting the sheet rock :-).



Well last night I was working on connecting the wires in one of the electrical boxes that an outlet will go in. So I was sitting on the ground stripping the outer insulation off the wire so I can work with the three wires on the inside. To do this I was pulling on the ground wire with the wire strippers (which are like pliers on the end) and pulling down on the insulation. On this one in particular it stripped a good amount of insulation and would not go any further. I wanted more to come off so I gripped it a little tighter and pulled more. Well about this time the wire strippers came off the wire and flew straight into my eye. There was a flash of light, followed by darkness, then some pain, swelling, etc. Me laying on the floor thinking what did I just do. Did I just take out my eye and I will not be able to see out of that eye anymore. Then I said a quick prayer and proceeded to gather myself together and get up stairs to take a look and tell Jamie.



As I walked by Jamie to the bathroom I mentioned that we may have a problem. I then took a look in the mirror and I had blood coming from my eye. Not good! So I told Jamie the problem was I may have just done some bad damage to my eye. She came in and took a look then grabbed some cotton wipes to cover my eye with and ran me to the ER. Well I spent an hour in the ER and found that I can see just fine out of my eye and just put a small scratch in the white part of my eye. I also found that the vision is this eye is better than the eye I did not hit. Hmm, I suppose it is time for new glasses or contacts. They then put some anti-biotic in my eye and patched me up for the night. I was supposed to go to the eye doctor in the morning for a further look. During this hour visit to the ER I also had a priesthood blessing from my friend and former branch President.

Then this morning I spent another hour an a half at the eye doctor getting a further review of my eye and found that things are good and I'm real lucky. The scratch is already healing and I have no other major damage to the eye. He gave me some eye drops for the swelling and another that is an anti-biotic. Then I headed off to work for further punishment.



You may be wondering why did I not have safety glasses on. Well that is me being stupid. I did not have any and figured I would not need some to do this work. Well I guess I learned my lesson didn't I. So I bought some on the way home tonight!

1 comment:

Momcob said...

I am so glad things turned out alright. ...this all sounds vaguely familiar to me! Believe me it could easily have been much worse. Count your blessings and wear safety glasses!