Saturday, June 21, 2014

Planting Our Garden


We didn't do a vegetable garden last year. I was planning on being really busy with a new baby when it was time to harvest, so we decided to forgo it. Turns out we were way busy with other things, but I digress. We had a lot of work to do to get the ground ready for plants this year. Patrick sprayed all the weeds and a week later we raked them all out. I enlisted the girls to help pick rocks. We worked on it twice and got not quite 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket. We borrowed Patrick's dad's cultivator to till the dirt. It was my first time using one of those. It was like a bucking bronco. Every time it hit a rock it would bounce out of the dirt. My arms started going numb and Patrick had to do about a 1/3 of the area. The next day I went to the nursery and bought the plants and the weed control fabric. The last time we tried putting fabric down, it disintegrated within a month or two. This time I talked to the owner of the nursery and bought what he recommended. It is definitely much sturdier looking. I also think he gave me more than I paid for. I asked for 60 feet, which was a miscalculation on my part. It shouldn't have covered it, but we had exactly enough to cover everything. I got it all covered during the day. Then when Patrick got home, we planted our veggies. We did 3 tomato plants: 2 romas and 1 black krim. We also planted a bell pepper, a banana pepper, a cantaloupe, and a pumpkin plant. I'm excited to have a garden again. Can't wait to see everything grow. I think the girls were mostly excited about turning the sprinklers on.




No comments: