Wednesday, December 31, 2014

First Day!

On September 2, 2014 Rachael officially started school as a kindergartener at Bridgewater Elementary. We went into her new class with her and stayed for the first storybook. There were no tears, but as I was leaving, Rachael's face looked a little stricken. As soon as we got to the car, Anna asked if we could go get Rachael yet. 

When I asked her how her day went as I picked her up, Rachael said it was bad. She had been sad that I couldn't stay the whole time-- she never had that problem at preschool-- and no one would talk to her. I figured out later that most of the kids sitting at her table are native Spanish speakers.



Since then, it has been a learning experience for both of us. Rachael has at least two boys that she likes, one of which she was kissing on the bus until I found out about it and had a chat with her. She has also made friends with a few of the girls in class and on our street that ride the bus home with her. 

Before starting school, she was worried and stressing out that she didn't know how to read yet. Now she is reading sight word books and learning several new words every week. She has passed off all her letters, sounds, and counting to 100.

I have been helping in her class once a week during computer and P.E. time. I have loved getting to know the kids in Rachael's class. It is so fun to see how excited they are when I come. It's also interesting to see the dynamics in the classroom including the kids' behavior in different situations. Yes my O.T. is a bit rusty, but it's good to use it even if it's for my own exercise.

There are still some things that I'm a little irritated or unsure about like the PTO and all the testing they do.

No comments: