Sunday, April 6, 2014

MRI

Two weeks ago we were finally able to meet with a neurologist for Rachael. He looked at her sleep-deprived EEG's and said that she does fall within the definition of epilepsy. He recommended and MRI since her seizures seem to have auras associated with them, suggesting a focal point where they might originate. He also suggested that we consider treating her with medication. I'm not sold on that yet. I will wait to see the results of the MRI and I may also wait to see if/when she has another seizure.

We dutifully got an MRI later that week. I was a little surprised by the experience. She was sedated for the procedure since she is so young and pretty much can't hold that still for that long. I assumed that I would be with her for most of it, but once the anesthesiologist took her to put her out, they showed me the way out. I didn't think about asking to stay until later when I was fretting by myself in the waiting room. Rachael wasn't worried, though which was good. They gave her the gas and then started an IV to keep her under. They also had to give her the contrast dye as well.

After she woke up in the recovery room, they brought her back to be in another room where she got to eat jello while being monitored for side effects of the anesthesia. I had to tell her that she had already had the MRI, apparently the stuff worked pretty well since she didn't even remember the gas. The nurses said they all wanted to take her home with them. These are the best pictures I could get because she was too interested in the cartoons on the t.v. She is showing her jello tongue in the last one while rolling her eyes at me for being silly and trying to get her to look at me.




No comments: